How well is Capita doing with interpreting contracts for police forces?
Linguist Lounge has received the following report:
2 years into their contract Capita is still struggling and failing, big time:
1. 4th November 2013: No Hungarian interpreter to interview 5 suspects of human trafficking in Bolton (Great Manchester Police) so after 18 hours waiting around for interpreters suspects had to be bailed and were asked to attend again on the 19th December to be interviewed. Suspects failed to answer their bail today, police officers were sent out to their address(es) but they were no longer living there and most likely have fled the country by now.
2. A lorry driver was arrested and charged for driving whilst over the prescribed limit in Cheshire on 17th December in the morning. Police were ready to take him to court in the afternoon however it took Capita 2 days to find a Hungarian interpreter. He was remanded in custody and wasn't dealt with until the afternoon of 19th December.
3. 17th December 2013: No Hungarian interpreter at Chesterfield Magistrates' Court, the court was calling NR interpreters.
4. 11th December 2013: no interpreter to interview a suspect in Bolton, the suspect had to be bailed
5. No Hungarian interpreter at Bolton Magistrates' Court for a trial on the 19th December, the court was calling NR interpreters.